Sunday, November 11, 2012

How does the steepness of a slope and the mass affect a collision outcome?

I did the activity first before I actually do it in class. I have designed this as a guided inquiry activity. Providing my students with a step-by-step explanation, they will explore the concept of the model being used and compare it with real size models (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).

The first step is to set up a straight-line track that can be flexible as to increase the gradient (slope). As the steepness of the slope increases, so does the gradient. To produce this track I used a piece of cardboard approximately 4 feet long. At this step, students will have to design their track using several provided materials. Students should interact with their group and brainstorm on how to obtain the best possible track to complete this activity. Also, this can be aligned with the engineering design process in which students will select the most promising idea and then create it (Teach Engineering, 2012).
Once the teams produce all the different tracks, the weight of the vehicle should be obtained. I would provide a set of 2 different rocks per team with known weights. Students will incorporate several different gradients for their slopes. For each gradient (at least two should be selected), students will release the vehicle 3 different times: 1) the vehicle without any additional weight, 2) the vehicle with one rock in it, and 3) the vehicle with both rocks. They should record all data and make their conclusions on the effects of steepness and mass on momentum and velocity.
My collected data and observations indicate that the momentum and velocity of the vehicle within the same slope gradient increases with added weight. As the gradient of the slope (steepness) increases, so does the momentum and velocity in comparison with lower steepness and same weight. Greater momentum will definitely increase the impact force on collision with an object or in real life with another vehicle. The length of the contact time during collision will determine the force of impact and the degree of damages or injuries.

When conducting this activity with my class, along with guidance and explanation I will constantly ask them questions and make sure they are engaged in an authentic problem solving process. As a facilitator I should be listening to their interpretations and help them correct any misleading information. I should also design questions that will help them connect this activity to real live experiences (Hammerman, 2006).
References:
Hammerman, E. L. (2006). Becoming a better science teacher: 8 steps to high quality instruction and student achievement. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Guided inquiry: classroom demonstration [Video webcast]. Retrieved fromhttp://www.courseurl.com
Teach Engineering. (2012). Engineering design process. Retrieved from
http://www.teachengineering.org/engrdesignprocess.php

1 comment:

  1. In my experiment I did not test slope so it is interesting to see the difference in our results. I have used slope in some experiments in my classroom and found your results to be similar to those I have manipulated in my class. There are so many options to choose from when creating an experiment.

    ReplyDelete