Monday, November 19, 2012

Electromagnetism: Planning a Guided Inquiry

With the science kit provided I will be able to construct several electromagnetic models, which should produce electric and magnetic fields by applying electricity though a conductor. I will use the following materials: 1) 2 different sizes of common nails, 2) 2 different gauges of magnetic wire, 3) one battery C and one D, and 4) a few dozens of paper clips. The designing process can go hand in hand with the engineering standards for STEM implementation. Students will design the electromagnet from the given materials and make inferences about what would happen if the independent variables were to be changed. I have learned through experience that I should always do the experiment first before involving my students. I will use 2 of the 4 nails provided (iron 10-D and 20-D common nails). And with each trial I will use two different sources to provide the electric currents (C and D batteries). This would demonstrate what would happen if the electric current is increase with the same setup.

I proceeded to work first with the 20-D nail. I wrapped the copper wire around the nail 10 times. The coil formed was tight around the nail. I connected both lose ends to a C-battery and proceeded to check its electromagnetism by applying the tip of the nail to paper clips. Paper clips were attracted. I was able to pick up from 2-3 clips. Then I switch to the D-battery and applied it again over several paper clips, this time I was able to lift greater than 4 paper clips. This demonstrated that increasing the voltage would increase the magnetic field of the nail.

Then I wrapped the same nail twenty times with the copper wire. I connected the ends of the copper wire to the C-battery and applied the tip of the nail to the paper clips. I was able to lift 5 to 6 clips. When I switched to the D-battery the difference was very notable, over 7 clips. These observations supports the following conclusions: 1) magnetic field increases with increase voltage or electricity, 2) increasing the amount of lopes and creating a larger coil will also increase magnetic fields, and 3) the tighter the coil formed by the copper wire around the nail, the greater the magnetic field. Increasing the numbers of loops forms a cylindrical coil known as solenoid. When electrical current is passed through the solenoid, a magnetic field is formed. Its is a known fact that increasing the numbers of loops and the electric current will increase the strength of the magnetic field (Tillery, Enger, & Ross, 2008).

This is a very exciting and engaging activity for students to be able to relate electromagnetism with the different possible variables that can make the magnetic field stronger. In 1821, Michael Faraday set up a similar experiment to the one I will give as task (mini-lab) to my students when presenting the lessons on electricity and magnetism. Faraday did many different similar experiments that can be repeated easily in a lab (Bradley, 1991).

Focus questions like the following can be used to conduct this guided – inquiry lesson: 1) what effects does larger nails have on this experiment? 2) what effects on the created magnetic field would increasing the thickness of the copper wire have? This activity conducted as a guided inquiry can be very interesting and rewarding for my students. Students will engage in a set of activities that will generate data and provide them with information (Hammerman, 2006).
References
Bradley, J. (1991). Repeating the electromagnetic experiments of Michael Faraday. Physic
Education, 26, 284-289. Retrieved fromhttp://www.uvm.edu/~mfuris/faraday's_experiments.pdf
Hammerman, E. L. (2006). Becoming a better science teacher: 8 steps to high quality
instruction and student achievement. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Tillery, B. W., Enger, E. D., & Ross, F. C. (2008). Integrated science (4th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you chose to increase the voltage by using 2 different batteries. It was nice to see that data. From my experience I would have concluded that the greater the electricity or current applied through the coil, the greater was the magnetic field created.

    ReplyDelete